Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Me and my learning goals...

Hello groupies, I'm Julian, and I'm studying IM full time in 2013. 

I'm intrigued by this project, as it looks like a great learning-by-doing exercise. 

So, some of the things in Web 2.0 are familiar; blogs and microblogs like twitter especially. Although I haven't blogged or tweeted before. I'm a great consumer of these media, but not producer. So this is my first blog post! Other Web 2.0 things I have heard of but never really investigated, like RSS, social bookmarking and mashups. RSS has always been something I've intended to get into, but I've always stuck with my old browsing habits. So I guess my goals are to get familiar and get confident with producing content, and making it look appealing, and in getting a good grounding in the wider range of Web 2.0 tools. I think these skills are crucial in public and school library services, where public communication is essential, so I'm keen to "upskill". I'll be checking out the other blogs to see if there's other tools I can play around with. So let me know if you spot something!

Update: Just a few housekeeping things. I've worked out how to add blogs of my group to the main page, using a guide on blogger. And I've got links, quotes and lists sorted out too, using the buttons at the top of the compose page.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Julian, I really like your description of this project as a 'learning-by-doing' exercise - it is so true. Like you, the blog that I have started holds my first ever blog post and I am enjoying getting to know the blogging world from the inside. I hope your random walks are proving interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julian, welcome! I feel I can relate to your post about 'old browsing habits' as I've always been aware of these Web 2.0 tools and perhaps even at one point have dipped my toes in some of the technologies but have never fully embraced them or 'integrated' it into my life as I have never felt the need to. I've also followed and read blogs through the course of my time. The information profession is very much taking advantage of these tools and I hope to explore how they do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julian
    It is good to read that others are like me and have been consumers not producers of tools like Twitter and blogs in the past. I guess all that has changed now we are a month into the assignment. I really like how Doc Man has made us look at Web 2.0 tools and become producers not just consumers.

    ReplyDelete